Cocke County Emergency Management
Kevin Benton was appointed Director of CCEMA in December 2014.
The Cocke County Emergency Management Agency is the City and Counties primary agency for disaster mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery efforts. We coordinate resources and incidents and assist other departments in day to day events, and during emergency or disaster time. We work closely with and under the direction of the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency and also with FEMA programs.
Emergency management directors prepare plans and procedures for responding to natural disasters or other emergencies. They also lead the response during and after emergencies, often in coordination with fire and law enforcement officials, elected officials, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies.
- Plan responses to emergencies and disasters in order to minimize risk to people and property
- Meet with law enforcement officials, private companies, and the general public to get recommendations regarding emergency response plans
- Organize emergency response training programs for staff, volunteers, and other first responders
- Coordinate the use and sharing of resources and equipment within the community to assist in emergency response
- Prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies
- Review emergency plans of individual organizations, such as medical facilities, to ensure their adequacy
- Apply for federal funding for emergency management responses and report on the progress of such grants
- Revise and review local emergency operations plans